“This is traditionally a vegetarian dish, but I needed to use up some leftover pork shoulder. You can use any cut of pork you wish, of course. I like to start this dish off with my favorite sofrito (Recipe #444676), but if you don’t want to use that just start with a finely chopped onion. We like to puree the tomatoes in the food processor, but this is not necessary or traditional. I drain the liquid and puree the solids, then recombine. I like the sweet onion flavor for this recipe.”
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
tablespoons achiote oil (Recipe #244296) or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (Achiote Oil)
cup sofrito sauce (Recipe #444676) or 1 onion, finely chopped (Sofrito (Daisy Martinez))
(14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (leave whole or puree in food processor)
garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄4
cups dry white wine or 1 1/4 cups beer
- 1 1⁄4
cups chicken broth or 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
cup red lentil
sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
teaspoons ground cumin
tablespoons soy sauce
hot chili peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- 15 1⁄2
ounces canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
teaspoons sugar (or 1 packet Splenda)
lb cooked pork, cubed
cooked rice, for serving (with corn)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat; add sofrito (or onion) and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for 10 minutes; stir in white wine (or beer), and broth.
- Stir in the lentils, thyme, cumin, soy sauce, chili, spices and oyster sauce, if using.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors develop, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally; if lentils dry out, add water.
- Stir in kidney beans and sugar (or Splenda) and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Season with salt, if desired, stir in pork to heat through.
- Serve over rice and corn.
Questions & Replies
Got a question?
Share it with the community!