Thai-Style Melon & Beef Salad Recipe – might be just like the “Salad” you can get at a thai restaurant*
12 ounces beef sirloin, or other boneless steak, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce, (see Shopping Tip)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 medium-to-large firm ripe melon
1 small green bell pepper
1 small red bell pepper
6 cups lightly packed torn Boston lettuce, (about 1 head)
½ cup slivered red onion
½ cup thin cucumber slices, halved
½ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
½ cup lightly packed torn fresh mint leaves
– Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
– Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper.
– Medium-rare steaks should be grilled for 5 minutes each side, and medium-rare steaks should be grilled for 6 minutes per side.
– Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes on a clean cutting board before thinly slicing crosswise.
– In a small bowl, combine lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, and crushed red pepper to taste.
– Cut enough 5-inch-long matchsticks from the melon to make 4 cups.
(Save any leftover melon for another recipe.)
– Bell peppers should be cut into 2-inch matchsticks.
– In a large mixing bowl, combine the melon, peppers, lettuce, onion, cucumber, cilantro, and mint.
– Toss the salad with the cut meat.
– Toss the salad lightly with the dressing after whisking it together.